[VIDEO] Tannerite Explosion Kills 8 Year Old Boy
Guns Save Lives is not supported by ads and is ran as an independent project. If you support this project please consider supporting us on Patreon. Registration takes just a moment and even $1 is a massive help in continuing our work. Thank you so much.
Well, here is another example of people simply taking things too far and not exercising proper caution.
An 8 year old boy is dead and 1 person is facing manslaughter charges in his death after the boy was killed in an explosion caused by a man shooting a stove chock full of Tannerite.
According to local media reports:
Brandon Martin, 22, faces a manslaughter charge after Sheriff Ron Lockhart said he fired a high-powered rifle at an outdoor stove full of the explosive material Tannerite in Liberty, Okla. The stove exploded and critically injured Jonathan Phelan, 8, who was struck by flying shrapnel. That boy died early Monday morning after being taken to a Tulsa hospital by a medical helicopter, Lockhart said.
If you’re not aware, Tannerite is a binary explosive that is often used in recreational shooting to make very cool targets that explode once they are impacted by a bullet. According to Wikipedia:
Tannerite is the brand name of a binary explosive marketed primarily for making exploding targets for firearms practice. It is a patented combination of ammonium nitrate (an oxidizer) and aluminum powder (a fuel) that is supplied as two separate powders which are mixed and shaken to produce an explosive. The combination is relatively stable when subjected to forces less severe than a high-velocity bullet impact, such as a hammer blow, being dropped, or impact from a low-velocity bullet or shotgun blast. It is also not flammable – an explosion cannot be created by a burning fuse or electricity. Because it is sold as two separate powders, it can be transported and sold in many places without the legal restrictions that would otherwise apply to explosives. Other combination explosives are generically referred to as Tannerite.
This cost a young boy his life and I wouldn’t be surprised if it resulted in legislation to more tightly regulate substances such as Tannerite.