The Secure Our Schools Act – A Real Solution to Stop School Shootings
Like you, I am outraged at the recent events in Connecticut. I am sad, angry, confused, and I want answers.
I want to stop something like this from ever happening again. I want to protect the children of this great nation who cannot protect themselves.
In the wake of the tragic events in Connecticut, there is a renewed call by some for some sort of ban on firearms.
How extensive this proposed ban will be and what it will entail have yet to be seen.
However, rather than the placebo effect that would be achieved by such a ban we want to put forth a real solution to stop school shootings in the future.
Obviously as a blog, we can’t draft legislation, but we envision something like the following being a much better solution than taking legal guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.
The Secure Our Schools Act
- All schools will be required to provide 1 armed and trained employee (Armed Violence Response Officer) per 500 students. This can come in the form of a full time, armed security guard, by providing training to a licensed faculty member to carry a concealed weapon, or by having an officer from a local law enforcement agency present during school hours.
- Each AVRO (Armed Violence Response Officer) should be trained in the engagement of active shooters.
- All school teachers should be provided with an emergency panic button that can be worn on their person and will be monitored by an alarm company with a guaranteed response time of under 60 seconds in reference to how long it should take the alarm company to respond and notify authorities.
- Funding for these initiatives will be provided by a combined effort of the local school boards, state governments, and federal government. The federal government will include an option for all tax payers to donate $2 to securing our schools and saving children’s lives on every federal income tax filing. States will also be allowed to add the same option to their state income tax filings (if applicable).
- Schools and law enforcement agencies are further encouraged to work together to establish satellite law enforcement offices on school property. Although this would not be a requirement.
The outcries are right, it IS time to do something to stop these incidents from happening again. However, disarming law abiding citizens and hoping for the best is not the answer.
We need to be proactive and we need REAL solutions.