Following Cancellation of His Show, Piers Morgan Calls Out the NRA… Again…

February 25 2014
by GSL Staff
Share This Post
      

Piers MorganPiers Morgan [attempted] to make a career out of opposing the NRA and gun rights supporters over the last 18-24 months. Evidently, he failed in that endeavor as it was announced his show on CNN, which he used as a pulpit to preach gun control, has been canceled (full article below).

Before his tenure is up though, it seems Morgan had to take one more swipe at his arch enemies, the millions of dues paying members of the NRA. Morgan tweeted the following,

Scary stuff. I’m sure Wayne LaPierre is currently in full panic mode over the tweet.

If you didn’t catch our original article about Morgan’s show being canceled, here it is again:

It’s official, Piers Morgan is losing his 9pm show on CNN. In the past 18 months Morgan’s anti-gun rhetoric on his show has reached an all time high.

Several reporting media outlets, including Variety and The New York Times both cite Morgan’s stance on guns for at least part of the reason his ratings have plummeted since the show began, with Fox News’ The Kelly File getting 6-8 times the number of viewers in the same time slot.

According to Variety,

Tuesday’s telecast, which included coverage of the uprisings in Kiev and an interview with Rudy Giuliani, drew the show’s second smallest audience to date in the key news demo of adults 25-54 (50,000). It also drew just 270,000 total viewers, according to Nielsen, the show’s ninth smallest gathering ever.

“Piers Morgan Live” has fallen below the 300,000-viewer mark on seven other occasions in February. And while the Winter Olympics on NBC may be to blame for some of the audience loss this month, “Piers Morgan” is drawing just a fraction of the audience attracted by competing shows on CNN and MSNBC.

Opposite “Piers Morgan” on Tuesday, “The Kelly File” on Fox News Channel drew 2.07 million viewers (including 354,000 adults 25-54) while MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” attracted 906,000 (including 227,000 in the demo).

Those ratings were simply not recoverable and it’s been announced that CNN is now going to be pulling Morgan from the time slot long held by Larry King. According to the New York Times,

CNN’s president, Jeffrey Zucker, has other problems, but none bigger than Mr. Morgan and his plum 9 p.m. time slot. Mr. Morgan said last week that he and Mr. Zucker had been talking about the show’s failure to connect and had decided to pull the plug, probably in March.

“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” [Morgan] said. “That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me.”

Morgan says he still wants to do big time celebrity interviews, so you may still be seeing his face on American television if he has his way.

Disqus Comments

comments powered by Disqus