Federal Authorities Officially Seize George Zimmerman’s Gun

July 23 2013
by GSL Staff
Share This Post
      
George_Zimmerman_leaves_court_with_his_family

According to a CNN report, federal authorities have officially taken possession of all physical evidence related to the George Zimmerman murder trial, including Zimmerman’s handgun, which, under Flordia law, should have been returned to him.

Last week the justice department requested that Florida authorities place a hold on all evidence.

Holder made the following comments according to CNN,

Attorney General Eric Holder has said the Justice Department will “act in a manner that is consistent with the facts and the law.” Holder described Martin’s shooting as ” tragic, unnecessary,” and said a thorough investigation will be conducted.

“Independent of the legal determination that will be made, I believe that this tragedy provides yet another opportunity for our nation to speak honestly about the complicated and emotionally charged issues that this case has raised,” Holder said last week. “We must not — as we have too often in the past — let this opportunity pass.”

US Attorney General Eric Holder, who answers directly to President Barack Obama, said last week the Department of Justice would continue its investigation on possible civil rights violations by George Zimmerman against Trayvon Martin.

An FBI report from 2012 found that race was not a factor in the shooting and found no reason to pursue a civil rights case against Zimmerman at that time.

The DoJ has gone as far as to setup an email address where people can email tips that might help prove Zimmerman is a racist.

Several groups are raising money to purchase Zimmerman a new gun until the Justice Department returns his.

Disqus Comments

comments powered by Disqus