BREAKING: Connecticut Begins Sending Out Letters to Unregistered Gun Owners – For Real This Time

March 15 2014
by GSL Staff
Share This Post
      

stock_DDM4LE-SSPWell, we knew this was coming. We had a bit of a premature report last month about gun owners supposedly getting letters from the state of Connecticut telling them to either destroy or relinquish unregistered “assault weapons” (that’s the state of Connecticut’s term, not mine).

Now it looks like gun owners who failed to register certain types of semi-automatic firearms and standard capacity magazines are actually getting letters.

Fox News and the Associated Press reported the following,

Connecticut officials are urging owners of now-illegal assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines to relinquish them to the police or make them permanently inoperable.

The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection announced Friday it had sent a letter to owners who had failed to register the items by a Jan. 1 deadline, part of last year’s gun control law. Officials offered advice on what to do now with the weapons and magazines.

Those currently in possession of an unregistered “assault weapon” or standard capacity magazine could technically already face charges if caught.

Numerous people in Connecticut have publicly come out and said they will not register their firearms, leaving many commentators wondering if door to door confiscations and arrests will happen at some point in the future.

Gun rights activist John Cinque told state lawmakers last year that he would not comply with the new registration law during a hearing. The video of his testimony has gone viral after it was posted to Youtube. Here is that video if you haven’t seen it yet.

A Branford, CT police officer who allegedly told Cinque he couldn’t wait to kick in his door on Facebook is now under investigation.

Disqus Comments

comments powered by Disqus