Dianne Feinstein Introduces Her New Assault Weapons Ban at Dog and Pony Show Press Conference
Guns Save Lives is not supported by ads and is ran as an independent project. If you support this project please consider supporting us on Patreon. Registration takes just a moment and even $1 is a massive help in continuing our work. Thank you so much.
This morning Dianne Feinstein held a dog and pony show press conference to unveil her sweeping new assault weapons ban bill that will be introduced in the Senate. The press conference included other famous gun grabbers such as Carolyn McCarthy and Dick Durbin. The legislators tried to appeal to hunters to get on their side (don’t do it hunters! It will be your fast shooting lever and pump action rifles next!) and then paraded out police chiefs from major cities to try and show that law enforcement officials support their efforts. It should be noted most of these chiefs were appointed by Democratic mayors in their cities, while elected county sheriffs continue to come out in droves to oppose any new legislation.
This legislation makes the 1994 ban (which expired in 2004) look like child’s play. This time any weapon with a single “military characteristic” will be banned. These characteristics include features such as pistol grips, barrel shrouds, adjustable stocks and the always evil bayonet lug.
This bill also outlaws slide-fire style stocks, bullet buttons which slow down magazine changes, and other features.
If you think your guns won’t be affected, think again. Almost every semi automatic weapon currently on the market will be affected.
Also, don’t get hung up on that grandfathering clause. Yes you get to keep your weapon, but unlike the first ban you won’t be able to transfer it, even if you go through a licensed dealer. It is also unclear at this time what would happen to those weapons once you passed away. You will also have to take the time and pay the expense to register all of your weapons that meet any of these characteristics with the federal government after having them inspected by local law enforcement officers. You will have to keep your registation paperwork with the gun at all times or face a felony.
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation, taken from Dianne Feinstein’s Senate page:
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
Even if you think your guns won’t be affected by this ban (but I promise you they will) now is the time to act.
If you have not already, and even if you have, take 1 minute to use this automated process setup by Ruger to contact all of your elected officials with the push of a button. It literally only takes about 1 minute to fill in your contact information in the form. I’m serious only 1 minute, they’ve streamlined the process as much as possible and Ruger will not save your personal info.